Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What if....


You've heard, "If these walls could talk." I LOVE of old battered quilts, and I always think what if these quilts could talk. Just imagine. The amount of time it took for them to be hand stitched, and then the amount of use it took to become this thread bare and torn is just amazing. Think of all the stories that they've heard and the history they've experienced.
This weekend I found one at a market days in Bandera, Tx. I took it up to a little old lady that was selling it to ask the price. She told me that she wasn't good at pricing so just tell her what it was worth to me. It caught me off guard, because quilts are priceless to me. So I named my price, and she immediately asked, "Why?" This stumped me too, so I explained that I use the tattered quilts to make Teddy Bears and that's all I could offer. I thought I'd upset her, but she was tickled with my plans, and went on to tell me she was a quilter and would be happy to sell it to me.
So hopefully I'm doing my part to help these time pieces live on. I only use quilts that are too worn or stained to be used anymore. Here are a couple that I have finished. The sweet purple and pink quilt had inks stains in several places and tears in others. The white one is from an old chenille bedspread.

Check out other cool posts at ReInvented's Trash to Treasure Party.

14 comments:

Girly Stuff said...

What a great job you do on those teddies!

I love the white one...do you put ribbons around their necks...you could ragamuffin a neck ribbon thingy with quilt fabric also.

Gage and Molly said...

Our channille bear has moved on to Molly's room. She loves it!!

Charla (SHar-la) said...

I LOVE the chenille teddy bear! I just can't ever get over how talented and creative you are! God has blessed you with such a gift!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Very sweet! I don't have the patience to sew stuffed animals.

Unknown said...

Those bears are so cute... And look very well made! My fav. is the chenille one too!

Sweet!
~Really Rainey~

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

What beautiful little bears you make out of those treasures!

Manuela

Mr Dawson said...

Great story/interaction with seller and the purchase of the quilt.

Personally, I can't resist running my hands over old quilts - seems ya can feel their history.

Luv the bears Steph! Sigh.... just think all that "life" they've already lived!

;-D
C

Unknown said...

What a great thing you're doing to preserve those old quilts. I LOVE the teddy bears.
Thanks for linking up to the party, what a great addition!

Melissa said...

I love it. I hold on to things that are too tattered because of sentimental reasons. It would be nice to start a collection of bears out of my mom's clothes. I could even give them to family members. Do you have a pattern?

Tamra said...

my mom made teddy bears out of my granny's old chenille bedspread for all the grandkids and great grandkids. We love having that bit of history. Great idea. Your bears are beautiful

MaRiN said...

How adorable! I want one for my little girl. I wish I had the skills to make one.

janet said...

i love old quilts too, and i love what you did, the bears are so absolutely adorable.
hugs
janet

Barbara Jean said...

I love taking things and making something new.
Very cute Teddy Bear.

Blessings,
Barbara Jean

Molly Anne said...

Darling. Totally darling.